In order to encourage and support local organizations in offering hospitality training, the Department of Tourism offers this cooperative opportunity for matching funds to help defray speaker costs.
Special consideration is given to those groups/organizations that partner with other groups or communities in their area. This opportunity is being offered to regional tourism associations, convention and visitors bureaus, chambers of commerce, tribal tourism offices, economic development corporations, commercial clubs, and various industry associations and groups. The Department of Tourism's goal is to provide financial assistance to at least one community in each of the state's four tourism regions. Maximum award amount is $1,000 per organization. Organizations may partner with each other on the same training in order to secure additional matching funds.
Applications must be submitted to the Department of Tourism by March 17, 2017, and must confirm that the following requirements are met:
- Use of funds for anything other than paying speaker fees must be pre-approved by the Department of Tourism.
- This is a matching funds program. Awarded funds may not exceed 50 percent of the speaker fees or approved training expenses.
- Funds may not be used to purchase prizes or gifts for training participants.
- Funds may not be used to purchase food or beverages for training participants.
- Inviting surrounding communities is encouraged.
- Participation cannot be limited to an organizationís members.
- Training must take place between April 3 and June 30.
NOTE: You do not need to have all the details of your proposed training finalized in order to submit and application; for example, name of speaker, date, location. Those details can be forwarded later.
Not all award amounts will be equal. Notification of awarded funds will be made by March 24, 2017. Late applications are not accepted.
Spring Hospitality Training Co-op application form (PDF, 74 KB)
Application deadline is March 17, 2017.
Please contact Wanda Goodman, Deputy Secretary, for more information at 605-773-3301 or