As the economy continues to challenge the visitor industry, earned media becomes increasingly important for gaining publicity and building favor with potential visitors. Traditional public relations efforts still apply, but there is a new way to reach the media and give them everything they are looking for all in one place. This is the multi-media press release.
Our goals for the Multi-Media Press Release (MMPR) co-op program are to:
- Provide an avenue for the visitor industry to tell their stories in a unique way.
- Provide the visitor industry with a proven earned media report.
- Enhance public relations activities for the visitor industry.
- Build the relationship between the visitor industry and the Office of Tourism.
Multi-Media Press Release
The traditional press release is quickly becoming second in line to the more convenient social media, or multi-media press release format. The multi-media press release combines everything the journalist is looking for, all in one easy-to-use and easy-to-read package:
- The subject and essential information of the release
- Bulleted fast facts that provide brief and easy-to-read content
- Video clips for broadcast and Internet news sites
- Photos for any type of media use
- Links to other resources
- Direct quotes from relevant sources
- Links to social book marking sites such as Digg, Del.ici.ous and others
- To be considered for this co-op opportunity, participating partners must work with the Office of Tourism to determine a newsworthy topic for the release.
- Participating partners must have a tourism-related business or entity.
- Applicants must provide the required information such as:
- 200 words of copy with relevant quotes
- Up to 5 fun facts
- Up to 5 photos (300 dpi/JPEG format)
- One 30-second video (Windows Media or QuickTime)
- Contact information
- Link to partner Web site
- Once all applications are received by the February 26, 2010, deadline, staff from the Media and Public Relations team will review, evaluate and approve 10 partners for the program. When approving applications, consideration will also be taken for timing of the preferred distribution of the release. For example, the Office of Tourism will distribute no more than two MMPR releases per month.
- Staff from the Office of Tourism will contact approved partners by March 26, 2010.
- Partners must submit payment of $625 upon approval of application.
- Photos, videos and copy are subject to review by the Office of Tourism.
- In order to give all South Dakota partners the opportunity to take advantage of this partnership, each partner will only be allowed one multi-media press release.
Each multi-media press release will be distributed through a public relations and news tracking software called Vocus.
- Vocus includes a list of more than 800,000 media contacts/outlets throughout North America.
- A customized media list will be developed between our office and the co-op partner. This list will be made available to the partner after the distribution of the release.
- Partners will work with the Office of Tourism to optimize their press release.
- Vocus delivers real-time press release measurement data so partners can effectively evaluate company, product and spokespeople mentions and monitor response.
- Vocus Analytics measures traditional, online and blog mentions with more than 100 standard charts and graphs to help analyze your marketing return on investment and the growing impact of news on your organization.
- An executive news summary, based on the analytics mentioned above, will be provided following the release date.
Please contact Wanda Goodman, Media & Public Relations Manager, for more information at 605-773-3301 or