About the Designation
The Great Service Star Designation is designed to 1) identify and recognize businesses that complete a set of criteria for hospitality training of their employees, 2) offer a comment mechanism for visitors, and 3) recognize employees for great service.
Applicants must submit an official Great Service Star Designation application form by January 31. The designation is awarded for the following calendar year.
Additionally, two business are chosen annually from the submitted applications to receive the George S. Mickelson Great Service Award. The Mickelson Award is announced and presented at the annual Governor's Conference on Tourism, held annually mid-January in Pierre. The deadline to be considered for the Mickelson Award will be in October and the specific date will be announced when the applications are made available.
2018-19 Great Service Star Application Form (PDF 600 KB)
DEADLINE: October 17, 2018 (for the Mickelson Award), or Thursday, January 31, 2019 (for the annual designation)
To qualify for the Great Service Star designation, you must already have the following in place:
- Employee Hospitality Training – one of the following is required:
- Attend the Governor's Conference on Tourism.
- Attend a professional training seminar sponsored by a Chamber of Commerce, Convention and Visitors Bureau, community development corporation or state agency.
- Hire a professional trainer to do on-site training.
- Use your company's corporate training program.
- Have your staff complete the Online Hospitality Training Program.
- Provide your own training.
- Visitor Comment Mechanism – Provide an opportunity for visitor feedback through the use of comment cards, evaluation sheets, or online forms.
- Recognition for Employees – Reward employees who have been recognized as providing great hospitality service in one or more of the following ways:
- Nominate an employee for a Certificate of Great Service.
- In-house recognition such as a newsletter, bulletin board, or “Employee of the Month” program.
- Present awards or recognize employee(s) at a staff gathering.
- Develop other ways to recognize and reward employees.
Great Service Star Designees
Use the links below to view current and previous Great Service Star designees.
For more information, please contact Jacey Jessop, Industry Outreach & Development Representative, at 605-773-3301 or [email protected].