Fast Facts About the South Dakota Tourism Industry
2017 Fast Facts
- 13.9 million visitors traveled to and within South Dakota
- Visitor spending increased 1.2% reaching $3.88 billion.
- GDP reached $2.59 billion, making up 3.2% of the state’s economy.
- Tourism activity generated 15% of all state and local tax revenue.
- Tourism activity generated $291 million in state and local tax revenue.
- 53,894 jobs were supported by tourism activity.
- Without the tourism industry, each SD household would pay an additional $871 in taxes.
source: Economic Impact of Tourism in South Dakota, 2017 / Tourism Economics