PIERRE, S.D. – Throughout the month of January, Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives will take viewers on a culinary adventure through some of Sioux Falls’ most delicious restaurants. The show’s boisterous host, Guy Fieri, visited South Dakota’s largest city in 2020, finding plenty of “flavor-bombs” along the way at restaurants such as Urban Chislic, Lalibela and ‘O’ So Good.
Guy’s trip to South Dakota was also a special one because it completed the show’s goal of visiting all 50 states.
“South Dakota’s culinary scene offers a lot to explore, more than most people are expecting when they visit our state,” says Governor Kristi Noem. “There are many must-try regional specialties like chislic, bison and kuchen that can’t be missed, but you’ll also find flavors from around the world. I’m so glad Guy finally made it to our great state, and I hope he comes back soon.”
Savory stops on Guy’s road trip included:
- Urban Chislic: Urban Chislic is all about South Dakota’s signature dish with a twist. Guests can customize their order by picking their meat and sauce or rub, with selections like Asian Bourbon, Chipotle BBQ, Bone Dust, and more. To sample what Guy tried, order the pork chislic BBQ sandwich and the Regret Burger.
- Lalibela Restaurant: The oldest Ethiopian restaurant in the city, Lalibela has been a longtime favorite in the Sioux Falls foodie community. Serving up dishes in the traditional style, on shareable platters served with injera. Guy sampled Lalibela favorites doro wot and misir wot.
- ‘O’ So Good: ‘O’ So Good, located in nearby Garretson, offers small-town diner flair that combines comfort food and seafood with a southern twist. On the show, viewers will see Guy try the restaurant’s signature jerk chicken dinner, shrimp cheesy hot plate and a side of collard greens.
- Bread & Circus Sandwich Kitchen: A newer establishment in the Sioux Falls culinary scene, Bread & Circus has made a name for itself with locals and visitors alike with a diverse sandwich menu and focus on high quality, seasonal ingredients.
- Look's Marketplace: Known by locals as a “foodie’s paradise,” Look’s Marketplace boasts multiple kitchens serving up a wide variety of eats such as tacos, pizza, sausage, baked goods, ice cream, an extensive dinner menu and signature beers brewed in-house. While you're waiting for your food, you can also walk through their marketplace and shop meats, take-and-bake meals, seasonings, freshly baked bread, and more.
South Dakota’s featured restaurants will appear in three Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episodes in the month of January:
- "South Dakota Smorgasbord" will re-air on January 23 at 6 p.m. CDT.
- "Spicin’ Things Up" will re-air on January 30 at 6 p.m. CDT.
- "Savory Meat and a Little Sweet" will air on January 29 at 8 p.m. CDT.
To celebrate being featured on the show, Experience Sioux Falls is giving away a weekend getaway package where winners can re-create the stops Guy Fieri and crew visited with gift cards to each restaurant paired with a three-night stay. To enter, visit ExperienceSiouxFalls.com.
Since airing on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, the featured restaurants have seen a large uptick in customers. Due to the influx of traffic, wait times may be longer than normal and operations may be adjusted. The owners of each restaurant are humbled by the amount of support they have received but ask that customers be patient and understanding as they work to keep up with the demand.
For more information on the restaurants featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, visit https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/trip-ideas/diners-drive-ins-dives-guy-fieris-sioux-falls-favorites.
For more information about South Dakota’s robust culinary scene, visit TravelSouthDakota.com.
Katlyn Richter, Global Media & Public Relations Director
South Dakota Department of Tourism
Email: [email protected]
Sioux Falls CVB
Email: Kri[email protected]