June 5, 2020
Happy 605 Day, Tourism Friends!
Here is the COVID-19 Weekly Update. We are once again seeing some positive trends that indicate a slow but steady rebound for the travel industry.
A few things worth noting this week:
- The most common responses for activities travelers would find most relaxing in the next twelve months would be spending time with friends and relatives (43%), taking a road trip (35%), staying at a beach resort (34%) and visiting a national park (24%).
- The number of Americans who plan to take a road trip in the next three months increased significantly while those who plan to travel later this year and into 2021 dropped since last week.
- Average hotel occupancy across the US reached 36.6% last week. A 43% decrease from the prior year.
Thank you to our research partners for providing this information: Tourism Economics, Destination Analysts, STR, U.S. Travel Association, Arrivalist, Miles Partnership, MMGY Travel Intelligence, ADARA, and Longwoods International.
A few other items we want you to be aware of:
- We have announced more details about the July 3 Mount Rushmore Fireworks Celebration. You can find information about the event and FAQs here. A REMINDER that one must have a ticket to be a part of the 2020 celebration. You can enter the lottery to receive a ticket at Recreation.gov. Here is the link for entering the lottery.
- Now more than ever, our industry members must be working diligently to ensure that our businesses are safe and healthy for employees and visitors. Visitors are looking for lodging, restaurants, attractions, etc. that have very visible health and hygiene protocols in place. You can find health, safety and hygiene resources for your business here.
We hope you are all doing well. Things are getting better! This may not be the summer we were hoping for, but rest assured your team in the Department of Tourism is working as hard as we can to make this the very best summer and fall possible. Let us know if you have any questions or if we can be of any help. THANKS for all you are doing!
All our very best,
Jim & Team
Secretary of Tourism